The Hazelab group within the Thermofluids Division at Imperial College wishes to appoint two Research Associates to conduct research into wildfires at Imperial College London. We are a multidisciplinary research group led by Prof. Guillermo Rein and are one of the largest fire science groups in Europe and carries out world-leading research in both fundamental and applied aspects of fire science and engineering.
This Research Associate position will be involved in the ERC funded project HAZE (2016-2021), which studies the global problem of smouldering peat fires. The ongoing project involves the study of smouldering combustion, analysing the mechanisms of spread and its emissions. The outcomes will continue boosting our understanding of how smouldering fires ignite, spread and extinguish.
Duties and responsibilities
As a Research Associate on this project, you will be expected to identify and develop suitable techniques, and apparatus, for the collection and analysis of thermophysical data from smouldering peat fires both at laboratory and field scales.
- You will be assisting in the analysis of the data and ensure it’s validity and reliability.
- You will assist with writing reports for the research sponsors as well as publication writing and conference presentations.
- You will be expected to provide guidance to PhD students, conduct and plan own scientific work under appropriate supervision, and actively participate in the research programme of the group.
- Furthermore, you will actively contribute to group research meetings and contribute to the smooth running of the group’s laboratories.
- You should have a PhD (or near completion) in Engineering, Physics or Chemistry, and a first degree (or equivalent) in Engineering or Science.
- You must have knowledge of combustion and heat transfer, as well as experimental or computational experience.
- Experience with fire science and engineering would be considered an advantage.
This is a fixed term position for up to 12 months in the first instance.
Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as a Research Assistant within the salary range £34,397 - £37,486 per annum.
Queries relating to the position should be directed to Professor Guillermo Rein at firstname.lastname@example.org or +44(0) 20 7594 7036.
Our preferred method of application is via our website. Please click “APPLY NOW” to go through to the online application form. Should you have any queries regarding the application process please contact Miss Helen Stoneham at email@example.com.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org Please ensure that you include the job reference number in any correspondence.
Committed to equality and valuing diversity, we are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research/
7 days ago - source